, , , , ,

Update: Howdy, Ma’am and Hey, Cowboy are now available.

When I wrote Enchantment’s Embrace, Book Two, I did a timeline, but it’s nothing like the one you’re about to read here. At that time, I had a peaceful life, wrote, edited, submitted, and got it published.

This timeline for Howdy, Ma’am Book One is a short memoir in itself. Part One.

Howdy Ma’am, Book One in the Bull Rider Series—The Journey

  • The end of October 2010—Plotted part of the story while I packed to move. One life ended; a new one would begin.
  • November 1st – 6th I started NaNoWriMo 2010. While my heart was breaking, I knew I would need a distraction for the first month of being alone. Working a full time job during the day, and writing 1,667 words at night should help with that. The title came to me right away and even though I searched for other titles, Howdy, Ma’am fit the story more each time I worked on it.
  • November 7, 2010—Moving day. I didn’t work on the book for three days. calendarThat’s a lot of words to make up. By time day four came along I had to write 6,668 words. I exceeded it.
  • November 30th— Howdy, Ma’am exceeded 52,000 words, but not close to being finished as a full-length novel.
  • December— Wrote throughout December, but not as steadily as in November. Eight-thousand words were added, bringing it to 60,000. The bull rider and photographer helped get me through two very big holidays.
  • January 2011— By the time January came along, I was sick of this story. There was so much garbage to take out. After giving in to my inner editor, I edited and revised. It got to the point where I wondered if there was any hope for this book, yet, it called to me.
  • My next choice was to put away what I had written and not think about it—clear my head. This is not possible for a writer I don’t think. These characters become a part of you, and honestly call you by name—they wake you in your sleep, and they haunt every waking moment. Even if you have writers block, they still nag you. This cowboy begged to be heard, and I could almost feel that bull rope around me, the same way he wrapped it around his hand. His heroine said, “Come on, you’ve brought me this far, don’t leave me now, bambina.”
  • February— Read through and edited what I had written. Again.
  • March— I discovered NaNoEdMo. National Novel Editing Month. Fifty hours of novel editing in a month. Editing a NaNo novel has to be one of the hardest revisions a person can do. All the extra adjectives and adverbs and other things we do to get word count, has to ALL come out. What a chore!
  • In early spring I filed for divorce. I wrote on occasion, but I didn’t have a regular schedule. I worked full time. Staying up late and getting up at 5:00 a.m. five days a week was draining. Not to mention the stress that went along with my life at the time. At the most inopportune time medical issues popped up. More stress. Howdy, Ma’am came to a halt while I tried to figure out my life. To save money I went to a smaller rental room. I began to feel more closed in every day. The decision to retire weighed heavy on my mind beginning in April of 2011. I had to make up my mind soon because the school year ended in June. So badly I wanted to move and be near my family all the way across the state. This brought my decision to retire to the forefront. I prayed, and prayed, and prayed.  In August I had to make my decision. By then I already knew I was moving. Leaving a job isn’t easy, but having my dream come true to be a full time writer made it easier, plus, I’d be living with my son and close to my brother and his family. In the middle of August, my son helped me load up another U-Haul and I moved across the state.
  • laptop-pic_thumb.jpgSeptember 2011— I finally, sat down to finish the rest of the book.

To be continued– Read Part Two Here